Sunday, January 19, 2014

Ethan by Nicole Edwards - 5 Stars Isn't Enough



I will share a little tidbit about me: I cry during movies (my husband will say sob or loudly weep) but not when I read books.  I don’t know why.  In all of the hundreds of books that I have read, regardless of how emotionally heart wrenching they were, I don’t cry.  It doesn’t have anything to do with how involved I am, I can’t tell you how many nights sleep I’ve lost because I couldn’t put a book down.  Until today there has only been one exception:  The Wedding by Nicolas Sparks.  Now there is a second: Ethan by Nicole Edwards.

Nicole didn’t set out to make the reader cry, she set out to tell a story.  Ethan’s story. Unfortunately, it is a story many men share.  A story of learning to accept yourself and love yourself for who you are and of learning to love and let others love you. 

It is also a story of bigotry and bullying. 

Ethan is a gay man in small town America.  Not in the closet, not out.  Just staying the shadows.  Not talking.  Not letting himself feel.  Not letting himself be loved, even by his own family.

That night by the lake is the reason for all of it.  One moment that was so painful that it defined him despite the millions of good moments before or since.  One person’s bigotry and hate changing the way he felt about himself and who and what he is.  His shame at what happened, his fear of it happening again and his fear of what he is reflecting on those he allows close to him, turning him into a loner that separates himself from everyone and prevents him from letting anyone in.

Beau was right, Gavin was also a victim and my heart goes out to him. Yes, he stood by and did nothing, but I am willing to bet that he felt every single blow. The choices he made reflect a boy who is hurting and, unlike Ethan, appears not to have a family to fall back on.

The moments in the bar are some of the most powerful I have read.  The Walkers standing shoulder to shoulder protecting their own.  And the Walkers standing shoulder to shoulder backing Ethan when he needed to stand up for himself.  Sawyer’s anger is so powerful you almost feel that if you reach out you could touch it.  Yet it isn’t really anger, or the desire for revenge, it is an outrage at what happen to Ethan and by extension the Walkers as a family, at what happen to Gavin and, although he isn’t aware of it, at what the Bennetts did to Beau.  It is a bone deep intolerance for intolerance.

Curtis and Lorrie’s love for each other and their family is equally powerful and real and is almost a character itself in the books, especially this one. When Lorrie sits with Beau I wanted to thank her and Curtis’s quiet way of a hand on a shoulder says more than volumes ever could.

The moment with Zane of acceptance and understanding was healing.  The moment with Sawyer, their pain, both of them, ripped my heart out. But it is the moment with Travis that broke me.  The moment when Ethan’s walls came down and he cried and he allowed himself to feel and to talk and to let it all out. 

I loved this book. Beau’s wonder at each new experience.  The way each man is given a moment, despite being huge, intimidating men, to be small, and cared for and loved.  The fierce loyalty and quiet acceptance of the Walkers is a thing of beauty.  Zane’s moment of clarity, with V’s help, is touching even as you want to smack him upside the head. And you forgive him his denseness when he stops being a guy long enough to truly reach out to his friend.

I love the celebration the Walkers at have at Moonshines.  They don’t say what they are celebrating even as each one congratulates Ethan and Beau.  I really think they are celebrating having their son and brother back and celebrating the man who loved him enough to bring him home.

I love this book. 5 stars.  2 thumbs up.  And a hug for Nicole.

No comments:

Post a Comment